Did you receive unemployment benefits?

Did You Receive Unemployment Benefits?
Have the right tax withheld for 2020
• Do I have to report unemployment benefits on my federal income tax return?
Yes, any unemployment compensation received during the year must be reported on your federal tax return.
• How will I know how much unemployment compensation I received?
If you received unemployment compensation during the year, you should receive Form 1099-G from your state’s unemployment office.
• How will unemployment compensation affect my tax return?
If you do not have taxes withheld from your unemployment compensation, it could result in a tax liability.
• Can I have federal income tax withheld from my unemployment compensation?
Yes, you can choose to have federal income tax withheld from your unemployment benefits by submitting a Form W-4V, Voluntary Withholding
Request, to your state’s unemployment office.
• If I am no longer collecting unemployment benefits, how can I pay the tax due?
You can make estimated tax payments at www.irs.gov/Form 1040-ES and/or increase your withholding once you have a new job. You can check your estimated withholding using the calculator at www.irs.gov/W4app. See www.irs.gov/payments for more payment options.

According to The Bureau of Labor Statistics, over 23 million U.S. workers have filed for
unemployment this year nationwide. For the first time, some self-employed
workers qualified for unemployment benefits.
For more information, contact your state’s unemployment office and visit:
Unemployment benefits are taxable
Unemployment benefits must be reported on your federal tax return. A record number
of Americans are applying for unemployment compensation due to the COVID-19
Outbreak. If you received unemployment benefits, as well as the additional $600 per

About Us

The United Way of Howard County fights for the health, education, and financial stability of every person in Howard and Tipton Counties.

Recent Happenings

Follow Us

Sign up for our Newsletter

Scroll to Top