Adopt-A-Class(AAC) is new for the 2021/2022 school year. Now, more than ever, labor sees the need to support early childhood learning and the teachers in the classroom. The program has evolved from organized labor’s commitment to education since 1994. AAC is an expansion of the focus on just Kindergarten classes, it now includes classes in Howard and Tipton Counties Pre-K to second Grade! Most importantly, the initiative is now community wide and opportunities are available to any team interested in supporting education in Howard and Tipton Counties.
Teachers need individual support, 90% of teachers spend their own money on classroom needs and many could use help with students during projects or even helping with a party or decorating the classroom. Each student has unique needs and the teacher can see first-hand what that child needs, adopters can choose to help fill those needs. Bottomline: we need the community to step in to fill in gaps in the current structure. Our children deserve the best education and teachers deserve all the support in providing the best education.
Labor has led in this area for over 25 years. First, SUPPLIES, this program involved the participation of over 20 union organizations annually to distribute school supplies to over 26,000 students since it started. Three years ago, the K-Tote Program was born, this program began a focus on the classroom and teachers. Every Kindergarten class in Howard County was adopted and volunteer groups worked with the teachers to ensure all classrooms had what they needed and teachers knew they had additional support as needed.
Starting this current school year, United Way and Labor are partnering to build on the success of the K-Tote program. We are expanding to Tipton County for grades K-2 and expanding to include Pre-K to 2nd for Howard County Schools.
We hope to find adopters for every class!
*We would like to have each team or sponsor strive to make a two year commitment
We can accommodate specific class requests as long as the class hasn’t already been adopted.
- Get your team together- 4-6 people are the ideal size to be the direct connection to the class
- Review the list of available classes and select one from one area school the one(s) you would like to adopt.
- Select your class(es) after you enter your team information (We will not share this information outside of United Way)
- You will then receive a confirmation with specific class/teacher information from the program coordinator.
- Once received, congratulations you have class!
- After receiving confirmation, call the teacher to set up a time to talk about how you can help.
* As an adopter for the 2021-2022 school year, contact your teacher to get ideas on ways to help the students, the teacher or the classroom. Plan to have your first meet in January 2022 and then a second event would be held before the end of the school year.